An interior design colleague of mine in New Jersey named Iris Houlihan from Iris Interiors recently posted this excellent blog. With Iris’ permission, I am reposting her blog below. I couldn’t have said it better Iris!
You can go into a store and buy a sofa. Or window treatments. In a good store, there may even be a “decorating” staff there to help you.
So why do you need an interior designer? You need a designer because…
- A designer is there to consider the big picture, and help you see it, too. A designer knows what comes first. That a simple, cosmetic change can pick up a whole room – or just as easily put it out of balance. And you don’t want to do that.
- A designer knows what to choose to create the right effect. When the lower cost choice will be just as good. And even more importantly, when it won’t.
- A designer can take your ideas and inspiration…and turn them into a reality that is far better than you could have even imagined. Because a designer is able not only to imagine … but envision. She knows how it’s all going to look together, because she can see it. Even when you can’t.
- When you hire a designer, you are working with someone whose primary interest is to create an environment that both suits and delights you. A designer is looking for your satisfaction – not her next sale. That makes a big difference in the recommendations you’re likely to get.
- A designer is your insurance against shoddy workmanship. Unfortunate choices. Hours wasted looking for things you can’t find; and learning things you didn’t realize you needed to know.
- When a designer says… “You should really think about that,” you should listen. Because, when it comes to creating a home you’ll love to live in, a designer knows what’s she’s talking about.
- In short, a designer is part artist. Part educator. And part genie. And the reason why you should hire a designer is simple: because it’s a very good idea.